Get the exclusive + updated Mother Blessing eKit!
Because I am always aiming to do better, I have UPDATED this 55-page Mother Blessing guide to reflect changes in my awareness of appropriation and cultural sensitivity.
A Mother Blessing is a celebration that honors and supports a woman as she approaches motherhood.
This 55-page illustrated kit includes activities, a sample outline, lists, poems and art, how-tos and more.
Why not a ‘Blessingway‘?
Mother Blessing ceremonies were originally modeled after the Blessingway, a sacred ritual of the Dine (Navajo) people. Out of respect for the Dine people, many choose not to use this term. Instead, we call these modern celebrations Mother Blessings or Birthing Ways.
Create a personalized ritual designed to suit the mother-to-be.
Mother blessings can consist of many different elements, including:
- Hair garden/flower crown: A wreath of colorful, fresh flowers to crown the mother-to-be.
- Releasing fears ritual: A sharing of worries and fears by everyone present.
- Weaving the web: Often done with a ball of red yarn, this activity symbolizes the umbilical cord that binds all of us together in birth and life.
- Herbal foot bath: Relax and pamper the mama-to-be with an herbal foot bath.
- Special readings: Poetry, prayers, chants, sacred scriptures, positive birth stories…whatever calls to your heart.
- Presentation of labor/postpartum gifts to pamper and celebrate the mother instead of, or in addition to, baby items.
These gatherings can be secular, spiritual, or anything in between.
Purchase the exclusive Mother Blessing Kit today.
“Modern culture has become so focused on the baby-to-be, that we’ve forgotten the mother about to be born.”